Viking Outpost Program
|Age||Completed Seventh Grade|
|Type||Overnight / Sleep Away Camp|
|Trip Destinations||Seven day backpacking trip to the Porcupine Mountains in the western upper peninsula of MI.|
|Popular Camp Activities||Canoeing, Hiking, Backpacking, Swimming, High Ropes Course, Zip Line, Climbing Wall, Campfires, Rifle Range
Boys Adventure Sleepaway Camp
"THE SESSION WAS OVER TOO QUICKLY!" is how our Viking Outposters react to their summer. We recognize that as boys grow older, personal awareness expands and a struggle for independent thinking can develop.
At the beginning of the session, these older boys enjoy a great mix of in-camp activities while honing their backpacking skills. Outposters spend one week exploring the Porcupine Mountains in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. Acquired skills are put to the test as campers backpack along trails with panoramic views including the famous Lake of the Clouds. Three weeks in camp let the boys partcipate in everything we have to offer. It is the perfect blend of a great introduction to true backpacking along with enjoying the world's greatest YMCA camp.
Required Trip Equipment
This list is detailed and specific for the Viking Outpost trip.
- Hiking boots (broken in)
- Backpack (A good size would be 4000 - 5000 cubic inches with either internal or external frame and an adjustable hip strap)
- Pack cover (to protect pack from rain)
- Zip Lock bags (assorted sizes)
- Wool or wool blend socks
- Hiking liner socks (Using a light weight liner sock inside heavier wool or hiking socks will draw moisture away from your skin reducing blisters.)
- Polypropylene/thermal underwear
- Pocket Knife
- * Backpack camping towel (smaller size towel)
- * 2 Bungee cords and 2 carabineers (To hang items off your pack)
- * Wool hat
- * An additional water bottle
* Available in the camp store
Click here to access the 'Forms for Parents' page and Packing Lists.
- Cell Phones
- Video Games
- Single Gender
- Extended Trips
- International Staff